Thursday, September 25, 2008

We have an excellent TRACKER!!!

Well, we tried our first track today. Hans is amazing! It only took him a few seconds to pick up on the scent and then he was off like a shot straight to Jonathan.

Here's how the process works:
Hans has been trained to track a specific trainer at the facility. He always tracks the same person because he is being trained to be a 'scent specific' tracker. Today, that person hid with Jonathan, and Hans tracked her-but now her scent was mixed with Jonathan's. (Actually, it's skin cells that are shed that the dogs are tracking.) We will track every day that we are here and gradually remove the trainer from Jonathan's hiding spot. We also will mix up the people who hide with Jonathan so that the only common thread is Jonathan's scent.

The head trainer, Jeremy, thinks that Hans has some Blood Hound mixed with German Shepherd. I believe him...but I really think he's part HORSE!!! He's all legs and runs so fast...I've been working out so that I can keep up with him, but I need to up my endurance by a whole bunch! I'll be the one dragging behind my dog on the ground this next week!

We're also continuing to work on obedience skills. That sounds funny to say...the dogs completely know their skills already-they just need to get used to getting the commands from a new person. Hans is doing well, but is still testing me to see if I mean it! I have another child pushing his boundaries!:) I can now put him in a 'down' and walk out of the room and he'll stay until I come back to 'free' him. He heels really well most of the time now and today we worked on giving commands from all over the room and working them while there were distractions.

Jonathan loves to play ball with Hans. I'm pretty sure that will be the key to our success with bonding. Hans is a ball lover as well, so it's great interaction for the both of them.

Grandma and Grandpa Noble are leaving tomorrow. They have been incredibly helpful. They've spent a lot of time with Andrew and Aaron. Grandma and Grandpa Johnson come in tomorrow night to spend the remainder of the time with us.
We're all exhausted, but training is going really well. Thanks for all the prayers.

Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are SO excited to experience this with you -- even if from a distance! We are checking the blog multiple times a day and think you should have taken someone with you for the sole purpose of updating everyone else on your status!!! Thanks for all the news you send this way. Lauren loves the photo of Jonathan and Hans on the bed is cute! Our prayers continue -- do ya feel the love?? Miss you all -- the McQuens