Monday, September 29, 2008

My first track as the handler

Well, I did it! Today I took the leash and ran the track. Hans was right on it and we found Jonathan. I feel better now that I have one under my belt. I still have a lot to learn, but I know I'll be able to do this.

We also did a couple of tracks at the mall. 'Reading' the dogs is different on an inside track than outside, so we have to practice lots of both so I know the signs to look for. I've learned how to hold my arms so Hans doesn't yank them out of their socket and lean back in the run so I don't end up in a face plant on the ground. Fortunately, I'm a good student...and didn't have to learn this the hard way!

Today while working on commands, I had Hans in a 'down' about 40 feet away while all kinds of distractions (2 cats, bouncing balls, swinging tug toys, heeling dogs, knocking doors...) and he stayed for over 1/2 hour without breaking the command. I'm so proud of him.

I'm having trouble uploading video from our camera, so you're stuck with pictures. I'll try to remember to take more tomorrow.

Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Hans...you are one awesome German Shepherd (and whatever)....you keep showing Heather how awesome you are.

Albert (Service Dog)