Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What is a restaurant?

I'm thrilled to tell you that we went out for dinner as a whole family for the first time in over 3 years. Hans went with us and was perfect under the table. Jonathan did very well and even stayed tethered for the first 15 minutes. We told Aaron that we were going to a restaurant - but he didn't know what that meant. Andrew said, "it's been a long time since we've been to a place where a waiter comes to the table." Our life is already changing for the better. Thank you 4 Paws!

Today, I ran another track. Jeremy (the head dog trainer) had me do this one without knowing which direction they hid. Then he followed a good distance behind me to see how I would do - no pressure! It went well. We overshot one place by a bit, but I was able to tell that Hans had lost the scent, so I backed up to where I last knew he had it really strong and we started from there. I have to tell you, this dog is big and he can run! My back and shoulders are sore from being pulled behind him. I'm so glad that he's a great tracker! We will be practicing a lot when we come home...so anyone who wants to hide with Jonathan...we could use your help!
One more day of training...then Friday we have to pass a public access test to become certified.
We're all looking forward to coming home!


Heather
Heather and Karen wait to track

Hans does a 'lap' command with Heather
Karen and Jonathan head off to lay a track

No comments: