Monday, October 11, 2010

Time is flying!!!

I can't believe it's been 10 months since I've updated this blog! Life continues to move at a fast pace...I don't get many quiet moments to sit and type.

Since my last update, we've been able to purchase (with the help of insurance) a communication device for Jonathan called a Dynavox. Basically, it's a portable computer with a touch screen. He is able to touch pictures and navigate through different categories and the computer will speak for him. This has opened up his world. We are thrilled! We're working on some basic letter skills in the hopes that one day he'll understand how to read. What a huge task this is, but we continue to put one foot in front of the other and keep moving....forward for the most part!

Buddy, Jonathan's service dog, continues to be a constant support for him. Many days I question whether there is a bond forming at all. Some days, Jonathan seems to want nothing to do with him. Then there are days like one last week....Buddy was limping at school. They called to tell me, so I had my dad go pick him up early. I didn't think too much of it until I got another notification from the school that Jonathan was having a terrible afternoon. Aggressive behavior toward other students, melt downs, time outs...this isn't typical for him! Ah...Buddy wasn't there! Whether I see signs of bonding or not, when Buddy isn't there, there is a noticeable difference! So once again, I thank all of you who played a role in helping us on our journey to get a service dog for Jonathan. What an amazing gift!

Recent developments and areas we could use prayer:

Dave was able to teach Jonathan how to take bites from a sandwich. Up until last week, we had to cut everything into bite sizes because of his sensory integration dysfunction. He stuffs his mouth with food because he doesn't recognize that it is too full. I have to watch for choking all the time, but now he seems to really be turning a corner. Dave is so patient with him-he's the best dad! We still have issues with the limited variety of foods that he eats, but he's making progress.

We are still searching for the best educational setting for Jonathan. We have a tour of a new school in the near future that specializes in children with autism. The waiting list is long....but I've heard good things. Please pray that we make the right decision.

Continuing the journey...

Heather

No comments: